Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Jeanie Tracy Cause I Love Ya! Smogville


Jeanie recently performing in Europe


Jeanie Tracy is a wonderful singer who has a larger than life personality. I once spent a Monday evening listening for several hours to her stories about her career often with tears of laughter and also sharing the sorrows of her life. Her career these days is dominated by the popularity of her hi-energy/disco styled cuts which began with her close relationship with Sylvester in the 70's. However, on the UK rare soul scene, she will always be remembered for her floater "Making New Friends" on Marvin Holmes's Brown Door label.

I decided to feature here a track which is not that well known. I recall Jeanie was not too impressed with me for reminding her of the song! I don't think it is the greatest record ever made but it has a certain charm and a historical importance. I would have to listen to the tape again but if I remember rightly we moved swiftly on after she acknowledged recording the song and therefore I don't know how it came about!

My favourite by her is a duo she recorded with Bobby Womack of the classic "It's A Man's, Man's World" but not the fast 12" version but the slow one which was only issued on CD.

2 comments:

  1. Agree about the Bobby Womack duet Colin..great track....
    just a shame she got dragged into the disco scene..born too late maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to hear absolute perfection, listen to "You're Gonna Loose Me" by Freddie Hubbard with Jeanie. I'm not sure what the album is because I have a 12" but it is WELL worth the look.

    ReplyDelete