Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Lee Morgan with Art Blakey & The Jazz Messangers Goldie

Lee Morgan
It has become very difficult over the last couple of months to tear myself away from Youtube as more and more tasty pieces of video are posted up. I have recently begun to explore what jazz offerings are on Youtube.

I have always been interested in jazz since the mid-70's when the UK rare music scene split and some punters and DJs went off with progressive DJs such as Colin Curtis to explore new horizons.

My travels took me first to jazz funk which was all about the dance floor then I began to explore jazz further. This exploration started to go deeper after an old northern soul mate, John Clement returned from working the jazz festivals in Europe in late 1977. John had been turned onto a host of new sounds which he began to collect on the Blue Note, Prestige, Riverside labels etc and I was suddenly exposed to Big John Patton and reaching further back to Lee Morgan, Art Blakey and others. I even ended up going back to Beebop with Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie.

Here is a wonderful piece of jazz with Lee and the Art Blakey Band filmed in France.


No comments:

Post a Comment