Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sterling Williams

I have been extending my friends over on MySpace in recent weeks. One new friend is a guy who I admire - the ever consistent Sterling Williams.

From: STERLING WILLIAMS My singing career began in a small upscale church in Bryan Texas in the college station Texas A&M area. I sang in the choir as first tenor at E. A. Kemp High School. After high school I relocated to Los Angeles, CA. There, for the first time I sang on stage at the Redd Foxx Club. I traveled from Los Angeles to Memphis Tennessee, where I met three well known arrangers such as Paul Richmond, Gene Miller, better known as “Bowlegs” and John Richburg. With them I did my first recordings “Believe In Me”, Look What Love Can Do” and “You’re Too Busy Talking”. I moved to Detroit, Michigan, singing at the Feltz Lounge as an opening act for the late, great Joe Tex. I didn’t stay in Detroit long, left there and moved to Chicago, Illinois. In Chicago, I sang with the Hebrew Spiritual singers for more than two years. After I left the group, I decided to sing the blues, which meant I would be working in the Chitlin Circuit throughout the Chicago area. I performed in nightclubs such as Teresa Lounge, Pepper Blues, In the Loop, Queen Bee’s Lounge and the Ghetto Club. During that time I performed with artists such as the late King Earnest, Junior Wells and Lefty Diz. Well things didn’t really happen for me in Chicago as far as my singing career was concerned. So again I packed up and moved to Los Angeles in June 1980. I decided to so something I had never done before and that was to write my mind and record it. That’s why my first CD “One Day At A Time was released in 1995. It was an independent effort and a lot of work was put into writing, recording, pressing and distributing this CD. Since the release of the “One Day At A Time” CD, I sang at the Holiday Inn in LA, Appeared at the Laurel, Ms. Blues Festival, Mississippi/Alabama Blues Festival, Foster Farm Blues Festival and at the City Fest in Tuscaloosa, Al., Phoenix, AZ, VFW Post, Mirage Nightclub in LA. I performed with artist such as Wilson Meadows, Mel Waiters, the late Ronnie Love Joy, Reggie P. Billy Soul Bonds, the late Jackie Neal, Dorothy Moore, Nellie Travis, Shirley Brown and many other Southern Soul artists. My second CD “My Baby’s Love” was released in 2002 on BGR Record label and that one special song “My Secret Love stayed in the charts for months, I performed “My Secret Love” along with other songs at Slaughter day in Greenville, Ms., and again in Decatur and Pickens, Ms at the Medgar Evers/BB King Mississippi Homecoming. In August of 2006, Sterling Williams signed with Ecko Records and a third CD was released “A Brand New Man”. This new release is still climbing the charts and can be purchased in most record stores. Listen for such tunes as “You Better Know Your Hole From Mine, Dirty Woman and You Got A Booger Bear Under There.

Go over and check him out!

No comments:

Post a Comment